Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  hrhsam : (29 August 2014 - 22:44) Looks like Lindstedt got injured in the men's doubles match, because he and Martina are no longer in the mixed draw. How crappy.
@  hilarius : (29 August 2014 - 22:12) Bencic def Kerber 61 75
@  John Straiton : (29 August 2014 - 01:12) Don't blame em for retiring, just couldn't take it eh! H/P is a really strong doubles team for any to come up against.Go PRINCESS & Pennetta!
@  hilarius : (28 August 2014 - 23:32) Hingis/Pennetta win 6:1, 3:0 as Petkovic/Rybarikova retired
@  hilarius : (28 August 2014 - 23:27) Martina and Flavia lead by 6:1, 3:0 vs Petkovic/Rybarikova
@  bruce : (28 August 2014 - 21:28) Vika looked sharp in her opening match over McHale. She could've taken out Captain Binghamton too, probably! By the way, she looks fine now, sleek and trim, no fat at all. Hope she keeps it going!
@  bobo : (28 August 2014 - 17:25) I lifted weights in high school.
@  james : (28 August 2014 - 08:11) ESPN shows bodybuilding? Do any of you guys lift?
@  John Straiton : (28 August 2014 - 06:43) Attention: Thurs. Woman's Doubles round 1. Martina Hingis and Flavia Pennetta vs. Petkovic & Rybarikova. "GO PRINCESS"!
@  bobo : (27 August 2014 - 20:09) Hey John, Martina beat Taylor in WTT 5-0 then 5-4! That Serena is a pretty good Player though.
@  bobo : (27 August 2014 - 20:06) I'll be back Nina. Not interested in the men this time because of Rafa being out!
@  John Straiton : (27 August 2014 - 04:35) Well, you may have missed Bob, but "Madam Schwarzenegger" certainly didn't miss Taylor Townsend, she was right on target, as she flushed her 175 lb. tail down ze twalet 6/3,6/1. Oh well, better luck next time.
@  tennispanther : (26 August 2014 - 21:31) Hi Bobo, I miss you in the prediction game!
@  bruce : (26 August 2014 - 19:10) Don't know why ESPN doesn't show a replay of the day's tennis coverage after midnight instead of all the usual crapola like poker and BMX racers and bodybuilders. That's the time I prefer to watch the tennis.
@  bruce : (26 August 2014 - 19:07) I thought that all started with 911 which happened under the Bush administration.
@  Rutherford : (26 August 2014 - 15:46) You supported the administration that is enabling the NSA to make a farce of the Constitution.
@  Rutherford : (26 August 2014 - 15:46) Bruce: whats up dude.
@  Rutherford : (26 August 2014 - 15:45) Saint Snowden !
@  bobo : (26 August 2014 - 02:34) That's NSA. The NSA is also a bloated bureaucracy that is beyond reform it must be shut down. Bless Snowden for outing them!
@  bobo : (26 August 2014 - 02:32) Bruce, the NAS is global information gathering agency. They are supposed look for threats to the USA. Spying on Americans is a blatant over reach. They are in violation of law in doing so. The CIA can do what they are supposed to do.

- - - - -

Article and another award

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sentance

sentance

Dedicated Member

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Martina Fan Since:1997

Posted 13 April 2007 - 00:33

Hingis back on top after retirementBy BRUCE SMITHCHARLESTON, S.C. - She was a tennis professional at 14, a superstar by 16 and forced into retirement at only 22 because of nagging foot and heel injuries. But Martina Hingis could not stay away from the sport that is her life."I love to compete. I love the challenge," she said Thursday, explaining why she came out of retirement two years ago. "I just wanted to give it a try and not to have any regrets when I'm older."A decade ago at the Family Circle Cup, Hingis became the youngest player in the world to be ranked No 1. She was only 16.Now 26 and two years into her return to the tour, the Swiss player is ranked No. 6 in the world, although she missed playing here this week because of a hip injury.Hingis on Thursday was honored with the Meredith Inspiration Award, given by the publisher of Family Circle magazine to a professional athlete who has inspired women around the world.Hingis, who over the past decade has worked with a number of organizations, including a World Health Organization effort to eradicate polio, said she had doubts about returning to tennis where she had 76 career singles and doubles titles."I had to overcome some fear and, you know, to kind of lose my name and everything," she said. "But I was willing to take the chance and survive it and I'm very proud of what I've done so far."Hingis felt she was missing out in retirement, even though she stayed close to the game, playing in some exhibitions and doing broadcast commentary."I was missing the challenge and the routine which I always had, you know, a sense of life," she said. "It's like I've been given a second life and it's very nice to be able to live it all over again."She said she the latest injury is nothing like those that forced her into retirement."It's not like I have to have surgery or anything," she said. "In the past, I've had to deal with many other things, bigger problems than this one."The hip injury, she said, should take at most a month to heal.

#2 Max.

Max.

Hingis.org Fanboy

• Big Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts
  • Martina Fan Since:2006
  • Firstname:Max

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:12

Good to hear that it isn't too serious... but then her next tournament will definitely be Berlin... Can't wait !
She played the game with an imperious air, an unheard of flair.

#3 yong

yong

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Martina Fan Since:1996
  • Firstname:Yong

Posted 13 April 2007 - 01:15

This shows how much they wanted her to play in Charleston. Too bad she couldn't make it. I guess she felt she wasn't 100% to play against Serena. And didn't want to lose the battle against her. In her word, the "name". It turned out Serena was too bored and walked away. I wonder would Serena do so if Martina were there.

#4 Desmond31

Desmond31

Australian Open

• Big Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
  • Martina Fan Since:1999
  • Firstname:Des

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:30

Well that's good news that she is still positive on the comeback etc and felt like she missed the challenge of routine and competition. Also nice to know that her injury isnt serious and nothig like problems she has had in the past. :lol:
Hingis ~ Federer

#5 Proteus

Proteus

Honourable Member

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts
  • Firstname:Mark

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:47

Thanks for posting the article :)It's great that she won another award :)So much for shopping in Portugal :PIt's good to hear that the injury isn't too serious. I wonder if she'll skip the upcoming exhibition in Denmark though.

#6 pooh

pooh

Winnie the POOH

• Big Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts
  • Firstname:Laavanya

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:09

View Postyong, on 12th April 2007, 18:15, said:

This shows how much they wanted her to play in Charleston. Too bad she couldn't make it. I guess she felt she wasn't 100% to play against Serena. And didn't want to lose the battle against her. In her word, the "name". It turned out Serena was too bored and walked away. I wonder would Serena do so if Martina were there.
OMG, ARE YOU NOT DONE WITH HINGIS BEING AFRAID TO PLAY WITH SERENA??????WTA is not all about SERENA.HENIN was giving an even better performance last season...why can't you get it? martina's pulling out, n other players pulling out has nothing to do with SERENA?you think henin was complaing about her breathing problem in the first day of miami cause she was afraid to play serena?you think maria was complaining about her shoulder from january because of serena? then why did she pull out of fed cup?you think amelie purposely went for an appendix operation because she is scared of serena?come on, these players are professionals. they would never been playing professional tennis if they r quiting tournaments because of Serena...

Edited by pooh, 13 April 2007 - 16:05.

Fight for it Hingis! HINGISOVIAN FOR LIFE!

#7 Baboon

Baboon

Dedicated Member

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Martina Fan Since:2000
  • Firstname:Ricky

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:40

i also heard that she present $5000 for the poor childs,it's great!
100% INNOCENT!!!

#8 Max.

Max.

Hingis.org Fanboy

• Big Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:44

View Postpooh, on 13th April 2007, 11:09, said:

OMG, ARE YOU NOT DONE WITH HINGIS BEING AFRAID TO PLAY WIHT SERENA??????WTA is not all about SERENA.HENIN was giving a even better performance last season...why can't you get it? martina's pulling out, n other players pulling out has notthing to do with SERENA?you think henin was complaing about her breathing problem in the first day of miami cause she was afraid to play serena?you think maria was complaining about her shoulder from january because of serena? then why did she pull out of fed cup?you think amelie purposely went for an appendix operation because she is scared of serena?come on, these players are professionals. they would never been playing professional tennis if they r quiting tournaments because of Serena...
Well said Pooh :(

#9 beboop

beboop

no more in denial

• Big Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts
  • Martina Fan Since:1999
  • Firstname:Amélia

Posted 13 April 2007 - 11:59

Congrats to Martina for another award. It's good to know the injury is not that serious. :(

#10 Baboon

Baboon

Dedicated Member

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
  • Martina Fan Since:2000
  • Firstname:Ricky

Posted 13 April 2007 - 12:17

View Postbeboop, on 13th April 2007, 18:59, said:

Congrats to Martina for another award. It's good to know the injury is not that serious. :(
OMG!our ID is much too similar!
100% INNOCENT!!!

#11 Aaron@VallePH

Aaron@VallePH

The Force is with you!

• Big Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • Firstname:Aaron

Posted 13 April 2007 - 14:46

Very well said pooh :)AND I updated Martina Hingis' wikipedia with her new award, as well as her 20 million dollar milestone :(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martina_Hingi...s_and_Accolades(I was also the one who made her singles and doubles runner-up data there!! :P :) :D :D )
Martina Hingis Princess of the WTA!
43 Singles Titles 37 Doubles Titles 1 Mixed Doubles Title
5 Singles Grandslams, 9 Doubles Grandslam, 1 Mixed Grandslam
2 time WTA Tour Championships Winner
209 weeks at no.1, 3 time no.1 year ender
Calendar Doubles Grandslam Winner

and most important: MY FAVORITE WOMEN's Tennis Player!!! Yahoo! Yipee!
Go Go Go! Lets GO Hingis Lets GO! Martina Hingis!!!!!

www.stopglobalwarming.org

#12 igi

igi

J'ai deux amours

• Big Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • Firstname:Ingrid

Posted 13 April 2007 - 19:46

View PostAaron@VallePH, on 13th April 2007, 15:46, said:

Very well said pooh :)AND I updated Martina Hingis' wikipedia with her new award, as well as her 20 million dollar milestone :(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martina_Hingi...s_and_Accolades(I was also the one who made her singles and doubles runner-up data there!! :P :) :D :D )
Good job Aaron!! (once more!) :D
Did you try TE and TEM?

#13 igi

igi

J'ai deux amours

• Big Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 19:49

View Postsentance, on 13th April 2007, 01:33, said:

Hingis on Thursday was honored with the Meredith Inspiration Award, given by the publisher of Family Circle magazine to a professional athlete who has inspired women around the world.
Yes, how many women did she inspire? :( :) :D
Did you try TE and TEM?

#14 Mark Kahawaty

Mark Kahawaty

• Big Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,425 posts
  • Martina Fan Since:1995
  • Firstname:Mark

Posted 14 April 2007 - 06:39

Thanks for posting this bit of great news, Martina has inspired more poeple than you could imagine...she deserves such recognition. Congrats Princess! :(
Martina..."I'm very grateful for all that tennis has given me and I'm very happy with the life that I have."

MH1 4 Evr...

#15 yong

yong

Dedicated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Martina Fan Since:1996
  • Firstname:Yong

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:26

View Postpooh, on 13th April 2007, 20:09, said:

OMG, ARE YOU NOT DONE WITH HINGIS BEING AFRAID TO PLAY WITH SERENA??????WTA is not all about SERENA.HENIN was giving an even better performance last season...why can't you get it? martina's pulling out, n other players pulling out has nothing to do with SERENA?you think henin was complaing about her breathing problem in the first day of miami cause she was afraid to play serena?you think maria was complaining about her shoulder from january because of serena? then why did she pull out of fed cup?you think amelie purposely went for an appendix operation because she is scared of serena?come on, these players are professionals. they would never been playing professional tennis if they r quiting tournaments because of Serena...
Yes it has everything to do with Serena. Maria, Justine (and Serena herself) are constant injury fakers. I mean all the top players can play with injuiry to an extent. But they won't want to face Serena if not 100%. But when are the times they are 100% anyway? I don't even remember when Justine didn't claim to have injuries. But she still won most of the matches. Other players with breath problem play the next day. Sharapova is "100% injuried" when it comes time to play Fed Cup. You could just place a "bet" on it and won.All the top players who played in Miami pretty much faked their injuiry. The reporters even ask Martina what was wrong with Miami.

#16 pooh

pooh

Winnie the POOH

• Big Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,430 posts
  • Firstname:Laavanya

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:19

View Postyong, on 14th April 2007, 00:26, said:

Yes it has everything to do with Serena. Maria, Justine (and Serena herself) are constant injury fakers. I mean all the top players can play with injuiry to an extent. But they won't want to face Serena if not 100%. But when are the times they are 100% anyway? I don't even remember when Justine didn't claim to have injuries. But she still won most of the matches. Other players with breath problem play the next day. Sharapova is "100% injuried" when it comes time to play Fed Cup. You could just place a "bet" on it and won.All the top players who played in Miami pretty much faked their injuiry. The reporters even ask Martina what was wrong with Miami.
can you give me REASONS why should players play with injury? so that they could make their injury worse and take an even longer time out? oh ya, then according to you, they have a valid excuse to run away from serena for an even longer period right?maybe i think amelie purposely got her appendix remove cause at least she would have a good excuse to escape serena....she coudn't think of any other injury, so resort to this.i think you cannot get it, but players are much more logical then you are.everybody knows that at a certain period sometimes, they would be someone dominant....that is sports. unlike YOU, players do not RUN AWAY.....maria, henin, martina, amelie would not have achieve so much in sports if they are cowards like what you think. CHAMPIONS do not run away from Oppositions, they FACE it. they sure hate losing, but they know you cannot avoid that.
Fight for it Hingis! HINGISOVIAN FOR LIFE!

#17 Max.

Max.

Hingis.org Fanboy

• Big Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:27

I agree with Pooh ;)Besides, Martina's injury was genuine and in fact, I think I did see her twist her hip purposely, as if it was bothering her.. (during the Radwanska match in Miami)

Edited by Max565, 14 April 2007 - 08:28.

#18 hidalgo

hidalgo

Devoted Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:58

Good to see a bunch of positives from the Hingis end- yet another award honouring her return to the sport, a positive reference to her 'comeback' (can't believe we are still using that word!), and Hingis declaring her current injury as a) not career ending and :( not too serious; igniting hope for a return to the tour within a month.Hope Hingis takes all the time she needs to recover from this injury. As she is fond of reminding all who care to listen these days, she aint 16 anymore!

#19 PLP

PLP

Dedicated Member

• Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Martina Fan Since:I don't know

Posted 14 April 2007 - 10:52

The hip injury, she said, should take at most a month to heal.OMG! I hope it doesn't take that long. :(

#20 igi

igi

J'ai deux amours

• Big Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 19:20

View PostMax565, on 14th April 2007, 09:27, said:

Besides, Martina's injury was genuine and in fact, I think I did see her twist her hip purposely, as if it was bothering her.. (during the Radwanska match in Miami)
Max, that's an hypothesis I made in another thread. That would explain the tactic she used during that match. But I still can't make a rhyme between this (which is very logical) and the dispatch which mentioned her withdrawal ("I've been training very hard the whole week" or stg like that).
Did you try TE and TEM?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users